Zola Electric is the world’s first massively scalable off-grid electric company. It exists to provide affordable and reliable energy to communities that currently lack such power. The company utilizes distributed renewable energy to sell power as a service to customers who suffer from an expensive grid, an unreliable grid, or have no electrical grid access at all. We provide 24/7 clean energy to anyone, anywhere. Our aim is to deliver a complete technical, operational and financial model that makes incredibly high quality renewable electrical services affordable to millions of homes.
- As a core member of the Digital Platforms department, you’ll help define and create new product features and experiences for our rapidly growing customer base and workforce. Our team is responsible for Zola Electric’s core platform, our “operating system for the business.”
- The Zola platform provides much of the magic behind the three key areas of our integrated operation, it is leading our distributed workforce, facilitates customer payments, service and distribution and the delivery of solar systems.
- Zola Electric is creating opportunities for thousands of local workers to participate in a high tech start-up, and our platform enables us to do this with utmost efficiency, scale, and reliability •
- As a Junior Android Developer, you will help drive the evolution of our mobile application as the company accelerates into hypergrowth mode. This includes implementing new features to enhance existing user flows, as well as fixing bugs which hinder successful user journeys. This would include a basic understanding of our APIs and how to work successfully within their constraints
You’ll be working to solve interesting technical and human problems, such as:
- Implementing an adaptive user interface to accommodate a range of user roles
- Ensuring that our app elegantly handles a range of data network access scenarios
- Collaborating effectively in a distributed team, using a pragmatic, Agile process
- A Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science and experience in internships or alternative career paths
- Initial experience with Android and experience with Java or Kotlin
- Initial experience with version control (Git, Github, etc)
- An example project that can be shared considered a bonus, if available
- Always be Learning. You are committed to self-improvement, which means you’ve sought and found mentors to learn from. You’re also a natural at collaborative learning including reviewing others’ work, participating in design discussions, improving team code quality, and bring new ideas to the team.
- Technical beginnings. You have worked with and explored several frameworks and languages. You have started to develop favourites but enjoy learning and digging into new things. You want to dive in on both smaller and newer applications and large applications with years of operational experience under the hood.
- User-centric. As much as you love technical challenges for their own sake, you’re inspired by making things that work for real people.
- Effortless Communicator. You love to work as part of a distributed team. You realize that the key to successful remote work is trust, which comes from regular communication through tools like Slack, and respect for the team’s Agile process (e.g., Jira stories and GitHub pull requests).
- Pragmatic. In a discussion of how to build a feature you will reliably bring people back to the question of what are we trying to achieve, and how will we know when we’re successful? You love new technologies, but will only recommend them if they are the most effective way of solving the problem at hand, and are an expert in playing a devil’s advocate of your own ideas.
- Curious. Unsatisfied with accepted wisdom, you’ll ask why multiple times when wrapping your head around a new concept or proposal